Credit for Prior Learning

Credits toward a degree may be earned through a variety of formats other than the successful completion of courses while in residence at Garrett. College credits are assigned based upon an established assessment process that validates attainment of learning outcomes established for equivalent courses. Students seeking alternative credits must be enrolled at GC at the time of request.  In most cases, a fee is assessed for the application of alternative credits to the transcript.

Each source of alternative credit may be limited to a maximum number of credits that may be applied toward a degree or the courses to which they may be applied.  A maximum of 36 credits from non-residential sources (alternative credit and transfer credits combined) may be applied to a Garrett College Associate Degree.

A student wishing to appeal the results of an evaluation should first contact the evaluator to discuss the evaluation. The student may subsequently request an appeal of the evaluator’s decision by sending a written request to the Vice President for Instruction & Student Services.

Students planning to transfer to other colleges/universities should contact those institutions to determine whether or not Alternative Credits earned at Garrett will be accepted upon transfer.

Credit by Certification

Enrolled degree-seeking students who have participated in training courses offered through professional organizations by licensed instructors leading to certification or licensure may be eligible to earn elective or major college credits. The training will be evaluated using ACE recommended credit awards whenever such evaluation is available. If ACE evaluation is not available, the student must demonstrate to the assigned faculty evaluator that the (s)he has attained the learning outcomes of the course for which (s)he seeks credit. For more information, contact the Vice President for Instruction and Student Services. Additional fees may apply.

Life Experience Assessment Program (LEAP)

Students seeking a degree in a field directly related to his/her work, may request Life Experience credit. To be considered for life experience assessment, students must be currently enrolled in a degree program at Garrett College. Interested students should first meet with their academic advisor to discuss life experience possibilities. LEAP application forms may be obtained from the Office of Records and Registration. No more than 50% of the credits for major courses may be awarded through LEAP. LEAP credit may not be awarded for GER, institutional requirements, or elective courses. LEAP credits may only be awarded for courses within career preparation majors.  For more information, contact the Dean of Academic Affairs. Additional fees may apply.

Portfolio Assessment

Students who are enrolled in a degree program at Garrett College are eligible to apply for portfolio credit for some courses. Portfolios must consist of work products that illustrate the ability to match a specific course’s learning objectives. A student may earn a maximum of 12 credit hours through portfolio assessment. Portfolio Assessment is only available for career preparation courses for which there exists appropriate work product(s) that demonstrate attainment of course learning outcomes. A request for submission of a portfolio must be approved by the Dean of Academic Affairs prior to the start of classes and the portfolio submitted for assessment no later than six weeks before the final examination period for the semester in which credit is sought. Portfolios will be reviewed by faculty in the discipline in which the course credits are sought. The decision of the reviewer(s) is final. Any work portfolio submitted for evaluation must be produced by the individual seeking the credits. Various fees apply.

Completion of Certification or Licensure Program at Garrett College

Continuing Education offers a number of non-credit programs that prepare students for certification and licensure by a professional or governmental agency. A student who completes such a program and obtains professional licensure or certification may seek alternative elective or major credit toward his/her degree and/or to be considered for advanced standing in a Garrett College Associate Degree Program. Note that only certain certificate and licensure programs and specific related degree program(s) are applicable to this source of alternative credits.  Complete details and eligibility requirements can be found in the College Catalog.  Contact of the Dean of Academic Affairs for more information. Additional fees may apply.
LiveZilla Live Chat Software