Mission, Vision, Values
GARRETT COLLEGE is a place where education thrives through engaged learning, businesses incubate and emerge, and vibrant leaders are forged.
Garrett College provides accessible, quality education in a supportive environment to a diverse student population. We offer associate degrees and certificate programs as well as continuing education to meet the transfer, career, workforce development, and lifelong learning needs of our students and the community. We are committed to the ongoing development of engaging, innovative, and sustainable curricula, programs, and initiatives that are responsive to a changing world.
VISIONGarrett College will be a gateway where…
- Academic excellence will be our hallmark.
- The campus reflects the diversity of the world.
- An engaged faculty and staff are committed to students’ success.
- The needs of local and regional economic development shape programs and services.
- Scholarly achievement, physical and emotional preparedness, and integrity will be our product.
VALUESGarrett College believes that every human being is entitled to dignity, worth, respect, and the opportunity to learn. Therefore, Garrett College commits to…
The inherent value of learning by:
- Encouraging a culture of appreciation for the power of knowledge;
- Designing and advancing a curriculum of excellence for student mastery and success;
- Creating opportunities to reveal brilliance;
- Promoting ageless, life-long learning;
- and Providing open access to programs and services.
The inherent value of the Garrett College community by:
- Sustaining a college focused on student learning and success;
- Fostering innovation and creativity;
- Embracing the concept of the power of people working together in the free exchange of ideas, including respectful disagreement;
- and Vesting individuals with the authority and responsibility to participate in shared governance.
The inherent value of the Garrett County community and the surrounding region by:
- Recognizing diversity of people, along with their differing points of view;
- Fostering a sense of belonging;
- Understanding the intrinsic value of our unique surroundings and of our cultural and artistic heritage;
- Seeking an approach that balances preservation and progress;
- and Contributing to the quality of life, economic and cultural vitality, awareness of local issues, and promotion of social justice.
The inherent value of a global community by:
- Facilitating understanding of other cultures and beliefs;
- Providing opportunities for community awareness;
- and Expecting a high level of cultural competence.
The inherent value of organizational responsibility by:
- Making the most effective use of resources;
- Regularly evaluating our fiscal health;
- Managing our human resources wisely;
- Monitoring and assessing the utility of existing policies and procedures;
- Facilitating necessary change in a timely manner;
- Being responsive to future trends and needs;
- and Promoting environmental awareness and serving as stewards of our environment.